All children deserve a chance.
Not just any chance, but a true opportunity
To have a childhood.
To reach their fullest potential.
More children are struggling with mental health issues today than ever before. In fact, behavioral and emotional disorders affect thousands of children right here in our community. And it is a sad truth that two-thirds of these kids never receive the help they need.
The good news is that treatment does work for those who receive it.
Child Guidance Center is dedicated to providing child-centered, family-focused mental health services in Lincoln. Utilizing a combination of unique programs and proven strategies to meet every individual's needs, we serve more than 2,000 children and adolescents each year.
The services we provide are available to all youth throughout the community, regardless of financial ability.
August is Admit You're Happy Month
Posted on 08/01/2016
Well, we made it. Summer is coming to a close and we’re looking down the road towards school shopping, fall pumpkin season and family holidays. But, summer isn’t over quite yet.
The month of August happens to be National Admit You’re Happy Month. There are lots of things to be happy about in life, and August is a chance to appreciate all of them.
If you’re not quite sure what you have to be happy about, don’t worry. Today we’ve compiled a list of 31 awesome ideas you can take advantage of each day this month to boost your happiness. So take a gander, and go ahead, admit it… you’re happy.
- Write yourself an encouraging note. Stick it somewhere you’ll see it for an extra boost of encouragement throughout the day!
- Write someone else a friendly note… just because.
- Practice positivity. See how long you can go without complaining once.
- Spend time outdoors. Nature has ways of instilling joy in us.
- Go on an adventure. Skip the planner for a day and see where the road takes you! You may be surprised at what you find.
- Treat yourself to a delicious carefree snack just for fun!
- Compliment a stranger. Pay it forward and see how many people’s days you can make.
- Have a dance party. In your house alone or with other people, break it down and get groovy.
- Sleep all day. Take a break from work and spend an entire day lounging around in bed and relaxing. Sounds nice, right?
- Donate to a cause. Pick a charity you believe in and give away!
- Explore your spirituality. See what joy and peace you can find and grow inner self.
- Play a board game. Because family game nights just never get old, do they?
- Try a new hobby. Interested in playing guitar? Painting a picture? See what joys await you and start exploring potential hobbies.
- Give a hug. Even people who aren’t touchy need a hug every now and then.
- Try a new recipe. Get creative and see what you can cook up in a hot kitchen!
- Play with puppies. Check out your local pet shelter and see if there are any animals to play with, then go forth and have the greatest day ever.
- Watch a funny movie. Laughing until your sides hurt always brings joy.
- Reconnect with your relatives. Haven’t called grandma in a couple months? Give her a ring, catch up and see how you can develop the relationship.
- Go on a date. Because romance is fun, too.
- Get a makeover. Go shopping, get your hair done or try some new cologne. When you look good, you feel good and happiness is right around the corner.
- Read a good book. There’s really nothing better.
- Go to a concert. Music speaks to the soul and tells it to be happy.
- Try meditating. It’s good for your physical, mental and emotional health. All around solid choice for a day well spent.
- Go out to dinner at your favorite restaurant. A classic that never fails to produce results.
- Buy yourself flowers then put them somewhere you’ll see their beauty every day.
- Write a poem/short story/blog article about something that makes you happy.
- Try nature photography. You may need a camera for this one, but who knows? Smart phones can work wonders.
- Watch the sunset/sunrise. Whether you’re a night owl or an early bird, you’re covered.
- Make a list of everything you’re grateful for and take time to appreciate it all.
- Exercise. Because exercise gives you endorphins and endorphins make you happy.
- Throw a party and celebrate 31 days of happiness!
What other ideas can you think of that make you happy? Try them out and spend time this August appreciating all the little things in life. And just admit it… you’re happy.